Saturday, November 12, 2011

MY FAN SYSTEM DOES NOT SUCK!!

I just had to use that line, since as I expected all along, the 1/2-inch PVC line from the collector was just too restrictive. The fan was just churning away inside the fan housing, but there was just not enough air flow to pull the heated air from the collector. No sense even hooking the circulation system to the collector since the air temp would easily top that 250 degree mark while the fan would be doing it's best to....suck....that air out.

So how did I get to that conclusion? Que more pictures!!!


The outlet is on the left, attached to the wood frame which is attached to the fan. Notice the attractive cover for the batteries? That prevents air from skirting beneath the expertly made intake housing shown on the right as well as having the heated air blowing directly onto the batteries on the way to the fan.

I realize anyone reading this will think the same as I did when looking at that small diameter PVC line. I believe I recited the phrase "Not a chance" on multiple occasions.


With the housing in place (but without showing the superb duct tape sealing work to further eliminate losses) the unit was complete. With no significant air losses, I could hold the unit up to my face and barely detect a current. All I had to do was pull the housing back a bit, thus allowing air to freely get to the fan intake side and there was more than enough current. SO, since this current configuration does NOT suck, I have to re-design the air circulation system so it WILL suck. Rest assured I had actually been working on this all along. More to come shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment